Yesterday was a long day. We started at 7:20 am with my echo cardiogram, then on to our Social Work consultation, then lung testing. Good news is the lab tech who tested my lungs said I was far above normal for a woman of "my age". Unless there is a big surprise regarding my heart I think we are in the clear for the organ function tests.
In regards to the donor process, Kate is not a match for me. 3 other possible 9 out of 10's have come in for me. So we have 5 currently being processed. 1, possible 10 out of 10 and 4, possible 9 out of 10. All are unrelated donors from the Bone Marrow Registry. We still have not heard from the other possible 10 out of 10 here in the US and the International Registry that has another possible match for me is very slow and may take 2-3 months to respond. This part of the wait is agonizing and why you must take this seriously if you are a donor. If you are someone's perfect, or near perfect match you MUST be ready to respond. My life and future health depends on someone else taking this to heart and understanding how important their decision is.
We had a long conversation with Kim, my Nurse Coordinator, on all of the possible scenarios with a Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant. The honest assessment is that there are no guarantees of a perfect result. There was some brutal honesty regarding possible outcomes, especially with a mismatched unrelated donor if we have to go that route. I don't really have much of a choice when it comes down to it, I am going to have to go with the best match possible for me and leave the result in God's hands. There are some people who are not willing to take the risk and choose not to have the transplant. I am not going to be one of them. When the time comes I will go for it, knowing that my Redeemer has my future and whatever the result is I will be content. Now if this sounds negative please know that there can be amazing results and I will be content with also. It's just that I have so much information to process right now that my head is spinning!
I see my hematologist on Monday morning and will see what he has to say. I am thinking when all of the samples have been processed and we know what my donor selection is we will consult with the transplant Dr. at U of M, perhaps end of August or first of September. I am hoping for some good guidance at that point although it is always my decision.
So friends that is where we are at. If my perfect donor's blood work comes through with flying colors next week I will surely let you know. It is going to be a perfect weekend in Holland (I am home for 6 days) and I intend to visit all of my favorite restaurants.
Thank you for all of your prayers, cards and emails. They really do lift me up.
Grace and Peace, Peggy
No comments:
Post a Comment